- A home or work computer equipped with broadband or cable Internet access. A fast Internet connection is strongly encouraged for Web video. For more detailed information on streaming video requirements, see below.
- The most recent versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari are recommended.
- Computers five years old or newer should have sufficient memory, operating system configurations and monitor resolutions appropriate for this program.
- Some courses may use additional software, which will be noted in the course descriptions each quarter. Examples include MATLAB, Maple, etc. Enrolled graduate students are eligible for discounted student versions of these packages from the UW Bookstore.
- Streaming Video Requirements:
The online program utilizes MediaSite lecture capture technology, which requires Microsoft Silverlight, to stream video and audio to the web.
Live Streaming Video - View each lecture in real time by logging on during the on-campus session.
On-Demand - Within (4) business hours of lecture conclusion, the lecture will be available for viewing on demand through each classes individual Mediasite Lecture Catalog page.
Download - This option is useful if you have a firewall that blocks streaming video, or if your Internet connection is not stable enough to view streaming video reliably. Beware that these files are large, so it may take a long time to download the files and you will need to have plenty of hard drive space.
To download a lecture, from the Mediasite Catalog click on the arrow box to the right of each lecture’s title. This will download the entire presentation with video and slides, if available, in a .zip file. Extract the .zip and select the player.html file. This will open a browser window with Silverlight for playback.
NOTE: certain classes from the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics do not allow for lecture downloading and must be streamed. This is the policy of the AA department and the Chair of the department.
- MediaSite Requirements
Bandwidth: DSL or Cable broadband connection needed.
OS: Windows 7, XP, Vista, Mac OS X, Linux*
* If you are a Linux user please contact the EDGE Program at firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Mediasite System Requirements; here (outside link)
Technology requirements for the online Master of Aerospace Engineering are listed below: